Australia’s Chad Reed has marked his return to the Monster Energy AMA Supercross podium with a third place finish in tonight’s third instalment of the 2013 series at Anaheim’s Angel Stadium.
The TwoTwo Motorsports team have made obvious progress with the bikes development in the week since Phoenix, which was visibly apparent with Reed posting competitive lap times on the CRF450 throughout the two practice sessions.
Sitting eighth on the opening lap of his heat race, Reed worked his way through the order and into third on Lap 5 of the 8-lap race.
In the 450SX ‘Main Event’ the Australian sat seventh on the opening lap. Moving swiftly up the order, Reed passed Jake Weimer for fourth on Lap 4 and then set out to make up ground on third placed Davi Millsaps.
Reed traded blows with Millsaps over the closing laps of the race and moved into third when the Suzuki rider made a mistake and went down on the penultimate lap of the race.
“It was very clear that we struggled at the first two races,” Reed explained “But I think for the most part we’ve taken a step in the right direction.
“We need to keep chipping away and the next thing we need to do is start challenging for the race wins. Today we showed up with a good bike, changed a click [in the settings] here and there, but for the most part we didn’t change any hard parts, which was nice.
“It was good to be on the on podium, we were within the window tonight so it was a much better day. There isn’t enough time in a week and a weekend to get where we need to be but we are getting there slowly and hopefully next weekend we will be down for a win.
“I’m excited for this next week to polish up the settings a little bit and then try to be better and stronger for next weekend. I feel like it can only get better from here – I need to be consistent, but I also need to win races.
Tonight’s result has elevated Reed to third in the championship standings, just seven points shy of championship leader Millsaps.
The 2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross will continue next Saturday night, January 26, at O.co Coliseum in Oakland, California.
Monster Energy AMA Supercross 450SX Class Results: Anaheim
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
2. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
3. Chad Reed, Australia, Honda
4. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki
5. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki
6. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM
7. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda
8. Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C., Yamaha
9. Matt Goerke, Lake Helen, Fla., KTM
10. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha
Monster Energy AMA Supercross 450SX Class Points
1. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki – 63
2. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda – 60
3. Chad Reed, Australia, Honda – 56
4. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 52
5. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM – 48
6. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki – 47
7. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda – 41
8. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda – 40
9. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki – 36
10. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha – 32